Dependant on when in a year you buy a property and the initial redecoration costs etc, you might make a loss – it is vitally important that you register for self-assessment and file your return with the losses declared.

You can't offset your losses from property against your other non-property income, but you can carry it forward indefinitely so that when profits arise, you avoid paying taxes unnecessarily.